Visualize, Evaluate and Optimize your business process
Learn more about simulation >>
Private ChannelSign In
  

Joe Garage
Joe’s parlour is open from 9.00am to 7.00pm and he and his fitters work throughout that period if there is work to be done. Motorists arrive at random (your analysis shows that it follows an exponential distribution with a mean of 15 minutes) and wait for Joe to inspect their car’s exhaust system. Joe feels that many motorists will go somewhere else when they see four cars are already waiting for inspection. Joe drives the car onto any free hydraulic ramp for inspection. Your analysis shows that the inspection time follows a normal distribution with a mean of 5 minutes and a standard deviation of 1.5 minutes. Joe then advises the customer on the necessary work and 70% customers elect to stay at Joe’s parlour to have the work done. The other 30% go off elsewhere.
While waiting on the lounge, the customers can watch one of Joe’s fitters work on their car on the ramp. Your analysis shows that the fitting process follows a lognormal distribution with mean of 40 minutes and a standard deviation of 10 minutes. When the fitter is finished, Joe inspects the work and, if satisfactory, he prints out the bill for the driver, who then pays and leaves. If Joe decides that the work is not satisfactory (which seems to happen to 10% of the jobs) then the fitter must rework the job – and this may take as long as the original work. Rework, too, is inspected in the same way as the original work. Joe thinks that he needs between 1 minute and 3 minutes to check his fitter’s work. Your analysis shows that the time that Joe needs to complete the payment process follows an exponential distribution with a mean of 3 minutes.
Comments (0)